All projects approved by Production Administration are covered by the school’s insurance policy. In the event of an insurance claim (theft, damaged equipment, third party property damage) the student filmmaker is responsible for a $3500 deductible.


There are three types of insurance that are provided to you and your project: 

General Commercial Liability (GCL)  

Property Damage  (PD)  

Worker’s Compensation (WC) 


This is a policy that covers activities, actions and damage from those circumstances not directly related to filming that would normally be resolved by litigation. It covers all the people and property directly involved with an accident you may have that was not directly related to filming. 

For example, if you were filming at a private residence and a piece of equipment fell and damaged a neighbor’s fence – that would be an incident covered by General Liability. 

Another example might be if a neighbor slipped and fell due to you having not secured or maintained your set properly. 


This insurance refers to the specific property that you may rent from an off-campus vendor and covers accidental damage or loss for that equipment. This insurance only covers damage to the specific property that you rented for filming. (Remember that leaving equipment unsecured or unattended is considered negligence and any resulting loss or damage would not be covered by LMU’s insurance.) 


This is insurance for the members of your cast or crew that may be injured on the set while working on the project. Note: for documentary projects, our WC does not cover subjects provided they are performing their normal activities and the student filmmaker does not direct them in any manner.  

The LMU Worker’s Compensation policy covers all projects within the United States. For projects shooting outside of the United States, WC coverage, may be provided under our Foreign Package policy. It would require additional cost that the student would have to bear.   In order for a project to be covered by the Foreign Package policy, it must be reviewed, underwriter approved and specifically declared on the policy.  


To help you understand the scope of our coverage, please review the list of excluded items below and their exceptions. The following elements are not covered by the SFTV Insurance Policy:

  • Use of aircraft (including drones). Students may purchase their own drone coverage. 
  • Use of watercraft valued over $50,000 (replacement value of craft) or over 26ft in length. Students may purchase their own insurance policy provided the filming activity is approved. 
  • Use of pyrotechnics. 
  • Use of animals without a professional animal handler. (see Animals section for more information) If you obtain the services of a professional, they must provide proof of their own insurance. Exotic animals are never permitted in student films.  
  • Use of railroads, either on a train or near train tracks.  
  • Any water activities (pool, ocean, river, lake) without a lifeguard on set. 
  • Minors on set without a parent/guardian and a studio teacher. 
  • Alcohol and drug use. 
  • Criminal activity, or violation of federal, state, and local regulations. 
  • Filming on rooftops. You can NEVER film on a roof while at SFTV.  
  • Unauthorized use of others’ intellectual property.  
  • Damage or injury, which resulted due to an insured’s Gross Negligence 
  • Skydiving, the use of planes, scuba diving, parasailing, major stunts, extreme sports or any other similar “hazardous” activity. 
  • Property insurance is extended to projects shooting outside the state of California however equipment valued over $10,000 must have the Risk Manager’s approval before leaving the United States. 
  • LMU insurance coverage does not provide Errors & Omission insurance. 


Picture Vehicles.

As long as the vehicle is not moving in the shot, your picture vehicle is considered a prop. Damage is covered by SFTV’s insurance with the student filmmaker responsible the $3500 deductible. 

Personal Vehicles

Personal vehicles are allowed to be used, however the personal auto insurance policy on the vehicle will respond in the event of a claim not LMU’s insurance. Check with your personal auto insurance carrier for possible coverage.  

Production Trucks

Production trucks are not covered. If you are renting any production vehicles, it is highly recommended to purchase the insurance coverage from the rental company.  The student filmmaker is also responsible for SFTV’s gear in the truck. Please see Production Trucks for required security measures when parking overnight.

Towed Generators

Towed generators are considered vehicles and are not covered while in transit. They are covered once on location and functioning as a power plant. 


If your project requires additional insurance coverage and you need to purchase your own insurance, below are several companies that offer student production insurance.  

Abacus Find a Broker Insurance Services

Gallagher Entertainment Insurance


  • The first step for filming outside the United States is approval by the pertaining faculty.
  • At the same time, book a “check in” with the head of production, Josef Lieck, for an initial conversation about what it entails.
  • The insurance underwriter will make the decision about coverage for the project based on:
    • general risk assessment of the region using the US State Department Travel Advisories
    • value of insured gear
    • detailed description of the filming locations and how gear will be stored and secured over night.
    • description of all “hazardous activities” planned for filming
  • When thinking about filming abroad, consider that the gear will have to be shipped. However, our camera and sound departments try to provide cases that can be checked in as luggage and will provide you with “carnet” documents (list of all items, serial numbers and values, so you can import and then export the gear without having to pay customs).
  • Any LMU equipment requested to be used outside of the United States will need to be approved by Production Administration and Risk Management.  
  • *Workers compensation coverage needs to be approved by our insurance provider subject to additional cost borne by the student. 
  • All foreign projects need to be vetted by Risk Management, our insurance broker, and our insurance carrier.  
  • When filming in a foreign country, research should be done ahead of time to determine if the country accepts U.S. insurance coverage and what kind of coverage that country requires. 

Our insurance brokers may decline to cover a project for any number of reasons. Before you begin writing your script you may want to check with the Head of Production to see if there are any red flags. An uncovered loss could jeopardize insurance coverage for all students and SFTV.  If you have questions about any production element in your project, please consult with the Head of Production or  contact:   

Doug Moore, LMU Risk Manager 


Skip to content